Financial Support

Bereavement Benefits

Whether you were married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting with your partner, you may be eligible to claim bereavement benefits after your partner has died, depending on your individual circumstances. 

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has a Bereavement Service Helpline that can take details of your partner’s death. The helpline will check if you can claim help with funeral costs or whether you are eligible for other benefits.

You can reach the Bereavement Service Helpline as follows: 

Telephone: 0800 151 2012
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453

Or find out more about your entitlement online.

For those who were bereaved before 6 April 2017, please find more information on Widowed Parent’s Allowance .

For those who have been bereaved on or after 6 April 2017, please find more information on Bereavement Support Payments .

Changes in bereavement support payments from April 2017

Please note that the DWP introduced significant changes to the bereavement benefit system on 6 April 2017, when the system changed from Widowed Parent’s Allowance to Bereavement Support Payments. 

WAY campaigned against these changes alongside a coalition of charities led by the Childhood Bereavement Network and is still calling for Bereavement Support Payment to be extended for longer than 18 months. 

In February 2023, both Widowed Parent’s Allowance and Bereavement Support Payments were extended to cohabiting parents, after a decade-long campaign.

Read more about WAY's campaign for fair bereavement benefits

Funeral Payments

You could get a Funeral Expenses Payment (also called a Funeral Payment) if you get certain benefits and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging. You can check your eligibility here.

Funeral Expenses Payment can help pay for some of the costs of the following:

  • burial fees for a particular plot

  • cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate

  • travel to arrange or go to the funeral

  • the cost of moving the body within the UK, if it’s being moved more than 50 miles

  • death certificates or other documents

Visit GOV.UK to find out more.

More Support...

Turn2Us provide practical support for people who are struggling financially. As well as advice they also have information about grants that may be available to support you. Visit their website for more details.

Useful Links

The Department of Work and Pensions website provides information about the bereavement payments you may be entitled to.

You can also call the Bereavement Service Helpline on 0845 606 0265 (Welsh language 0345 606 0275).