This World Kindness Day, we wanted to share with you some wise words from one of our members, Corrina, about the small acts of kindness that made such a big difference to her when her partner died...
"There’s no replacement or magic wand to replace our partner. But sometimes the smallest gestures mean so much....
- the friend who left a packed lunch on my doorstep because she knew I was in, knew I didn't want to see anyone, but also wanted me to eat
- the friend who brought me a bra when I was staying at the hospital with Nick and I had forgotten to pack one
- the friends who took me out 3 days after Nick passed away and let me get roaring drunk and cry a lot before they took me home safely
- the friend who came to his funeral and didn’t try to speak to me, but just wanted me to know they were there. And have continued to be there
- the friend who didn’t say anything but sent me a copy of Nick’s favourite song
- the friend who forced me to get out of my pyjamas to go for lunch
- the friends who mention his name. Who tell me stories I didn’t know, or acknowledge how much Nick would love a place we’re visiting
- the friends who share their stories with me, and allow me to share mine
I hope you have friends like this, and if you don’t, I hope you find them. I hope today brings you a small act of kindness, because nobody should have to face this alone."