What information do we collect and why?
WAY Widowed and Young will only ever collect the information we need. This includes data that will be useful to help improve our services. WAY Widowed and Young collect’s two kinds of information:
- Personal information such as name, postal address, phone number, email address, date of birth, preferences and interests, experiences and feedback.
We collect this information in relation to specific activities undertaken by the charity, this is primarily membership applications, but also includes purchases, feedback, donations and supporting WAY Widowed and Young through activities such as fundraising and campaigning.
The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable WAY Widowed and Young to provide you with a more personalised service. To browse the website, you don't have to disclose any of this information. However, if you do choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services, this includes the ‘member’s area’ within the website.
What do we do with the information?
WAY Widowed and Young will use the information you provide to:
- To communicate with members, supporters, staff, volunteers and trustees.
- To provide the services or goods that you have requested– This includes; applications for membership, event bookings, donations, participation in fundraising and campaigns and to provide information.
- To process orders via the ‘WAY Shop’, deliver products and communicate with you about your order.
- To invite you to provide feedback, for us to better understand your experiences and improve our service.
- To record any contact, WAY Widowed and Young may have with you.
- To process your donations or other payments, to claim Gift Aid on your donations and verify any financial transactions
- To thank you for donations made to WAY Widowed and Young.
- To Identify visitors and contributors
- Provide a personalised service to members when they visit the ‘member’s area’ within the website – this could include customising the content and/or layout of our pages for individual members.
- Ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted.
Marketing covers information from WAY Widowed and Young about the goods and services sold, WAY fundraising, and information about our services and other work we do such as campaigning. Examples include articles within our Member Exclusive Magazine ‘WAY Forward’ sent via post and updates sent via email.
You have a choice about whether you want to receive information about WAY Widowed and Young. Members can change their contact preferences at any time within their personal profile in the membership area of the website. Alternatively, you can contact us to update your contact preferences at WAY Widowed and Young, Suite 14, College Business Park, Uttoxeter New Road, Derby, DE22 3WZ or email@example.com
Sharing your information
The personal information we collect about you will mainly be used by our Staff (and volunteers) at WAY Widowed and Young so that they can support you.
WAY Widowed and Young will only share your information if;
- We are required to do so by law, e.g. by a law enforcement agency legitimately exercising a power or if compelled by an order of the Court
- We believe it is necessary to protect or defend our rights, property or the personal safety of our people or visitors.
- We are working with trusted partners and suppliers that are carrying out work on our behalf to deliver our services, but processing of this information is always carried out under our instruction. We carry out due diligence checks and have agreements in place to ensure that they have appropriate controls in place to secure your information.
WAY Widowed and Young never sell or share your information to other organisations to use for their own purposes.
Sharing your Story
In addition to the above some people choose to tell us about their own personal experiences to help further the work of WAY - Widowed and Young and to support our campaigning efforts, raising awareness. Individuals may take on a role as a Media Volunteer, which may include them sharing sensitive information related to their health and family life in addition to their biographical and contact information. Prior to any story sharing, WAY - Widowed and Young will gain explicit and informed consent.
Storing your information
Information is stored by us on computers located in the UK. We may transfer the information to other reputable third-party organisations as explained above. We may also store information in paper files.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial processes to safeguard and secure personal data under our control.
While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur while it is under our control, we use our best efforts to try to prevent this.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict processes and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Where you, or we, have provided a password enabling you to access parts of our websites or use our services, it is your responsibility to keep this password confidential. Please don't share your password with anyone.
We will keep your information only for as long as we need it to;
- Provide goods, services or information you have requested,
- Administer your relationship with WAY Widowed and Young
- To meet preferences of members and supporters
- To comply with our legal and compliance obligations
- To resolve disputes.
- To ensure we do not communicate with people that have asked us not to.
When we no longer need information, we will always dispose of it appropriately and securely.
The Data Protection Act gives you certain rights over your data and how we use it. This includes;
- The right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- The right of access to a copy of the information we hold about you (known as a SAR -subject access request)
To find out more about exercising your rights please see our Data Protection Policy.
For more information about your rights under the Data Protection Act go to the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at ico.org.uk.
WAY Widowed and Young is not a ‘public authority’ as defined under the Freedom of Information Act and we will not therefore respond to requests for information made under this Act; using the funds generously donated to us by our members and supporters for such activities is not in accordance with WAY Widowed and Young charitable purposes.
This policy applies to the WAY Widowed and Young website, our use of emails, and any other methods we use for collecting information. WAY Widowed and Young do not accept any responsibility or liability for:
- Personal disclosure within WAY Online;When contributing to a discussion within WAY online (including Chat Rooms, Forums and Messaging) we strongly recommend you act cautiously should you choose to share any personal information that can be used to identify you. We are not responsible for the privacy of any identifiable information that you choose to post in our Membership area or other public pages of our websites.
Changes to this policy
WAY Widowed and Young, reserve the right to change this policy at any time. In which case the amended policy will be updated on our website and will apply from the date we post them.
If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will make this clear on the WAY Widowed and Young Website.
The format and content of our website changes constantly. You should refresh your browser each time you visit our sites to ensure that you access the most up to date version.
Our Contact Details
We can be contacted in the following ways:
WAY Widowed and Young, Suite 14, College Business Park, Uttoxeter New Road, Derby, DE22 3WZ or firstname.lastname@example.org
Agreed by WAY Board of Trustees, Meeting Date 2nd June 2018