Keep Things Safe and Legal

Laws & Regulations You Need to be Aware of when fundraising

The Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 covers things such as Raffles and Tombolas.


You can hold a raffle WITHOUT a lotteries licence as long as all tickets are sold during one event/day and drawn on the same day. This is usually during a fete or dinner; cloakroom tickets are used and sold to the people attending the event, and the tickets are drawn & prizes allocated during or at the end of the event. This type of raffle CANNOT be used over any longer time scale, or tickets sold to people who are not at the event. Any other raffle needs a licence and specially printed tickets – please get in touch if you would like to hold a raffle for us this way.


Usually held during a fete, fair or carnival. There is no special licence required, as long as the raffle procedures above are followed.


There are many different forms of charitable collections, and all have different rules associated with them. Some of the most common are:

  • Street collections - If you are holding a collection in the street, you will need to obtain a licence, either from your local authority, or if in greater London, the Metropolitan Police.
  • Private collections - If your collection is still open to the public, but being held on private property such as within a shopping centre or rail station, you must obtain permission from the landowner or manager.
  • Static collection boxes - Boxes must be secure and tamper proof. You do not need a licence to place these in a shop or business, just permission from the business owner.
  • House-to-house collections - Licences must be obtained from the relevant local authority or Metropolitan Police.

Please contact us for advice if you are unsure on